Tuesday 8 July 2014

Broad Bean Guacamole

I've been able to pick my first harvest of my broad beans, and it was such a fantastic feeling. All my hard work has finally paid off! I only have 12 plants which are grown in a 60cm x 60cm patch in one of my raised beds. Not a massive amount of room but looking at the bean plants (once I'd harvested this batch) I think I'll manage to get another two harvests at least with the amount of baby beans and flowers on there. Yummy!

For my first harvest though, as the broad beans are so young and fresh I fancied something light and summary so I opted for a broad bean guacamole. Although it was a close call with my broad bean pate.

Ingredients - Serves 1

85g Broad beans, shelled
2 Cloves of garlic
1 Tsp Lemon juice 
1 Slice green chilli
Himalayan Pink salt 
Black pepper
1 Small tomato (optional), diced

Method 

First boil the broad beans and garlic in water for 4-5 minutes or until you can pierce a knife into the bean easily.

Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process.

Remove the outer skin from the broad bean, I always do this no matter how small the bean as I find it bitter in taste.

Put the broad beans and garlic into a food processor with the lemon juice and chilli and puree to a smooth paste.

Add the Himalayan pink salt and black pepper and pulse to combine the flavours.

Transfer to a dish and serve.

If you're using the tomato add to the broad bean puree and carefully mix in, so as not to break up the tomato pieces.

The broad bean guacamole goes really well with my chick pea & green lentil tacos





Edit post: Since posting this recipe, Shaheen of the fantastic Allotment 2 Kitchen blog has let me know about two challenges she is currently holding on her blog, one of which is called Eat Your Greens.


The idea behind this challenge is really simple, to make something with a green vegetable each month. Once you've posted a recipe you email Shaheen and a round up of all the entries will be posted on her blog before the end of the month.


6 comments:

  1. I can just imagine how deliciously fresh tasting this guacamole is. I'd love to scoop it up with some homemade tortilla chips. Yum!
    It's so amazing that you've managed to grow your own broad beans. Well done you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. It is such a fantastic feeling when you nip into your garden, harvest something and then make something with the produce. It makes all the hard work earlier on in the year so worth while. I'm about ready for another harvest too! Yippee!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so so much for sharing this delightful Broad Bean Dip. A lovely change from Guacamole. I have broad beans to harvest today - like you not much but better than nothing. my husband wants to enjoy them as they are, so no dips with them, but maybe with some peas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaheen, a dip with peas sounds just as delicious, maybe with some garden mint too :o)

      Delete
  3. So excited to see this...broad beans are just showing up in our farmers markets and a simple delicious dip is exactly what I want. Many thanks for sharing the recipe.
    I found you through Shaheen's A2K so I'm off to explore the rest of your site. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love broad beans and I've been experimenting with them thanks to the very productive plants I have in my veggie patch! Look out for my broad bean 'cheese' recipe coming soon.....

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x