Thursday 19 September 2013

Thankful Thursday - Bean Dhal

Thankful Thursday's are all about cooking or making food for others to enjoy and to say thanks for . . . . . . . 

Today I wanted to say thanks to my hubby who has put up with me cooking with beans every day during September, especially when he's not a huge fan of everything bean like. He has escaped the bean craze on quite a few nights though so don't feel too sorry for him.

He also tells me I'm the loudest typist in the west and he's had to put up with that too, let alone  photographing the food before we can tuck into it! So as a thank you I decided to cook him his favourite dish.

I made him a vindaloo curry and for a side dish and my main dish, I made a dhal with beans! There is no escaping the bean world during September and vegan mofo.

Ingredients
115g Red lentils
50g Mung beans
600ml Vegetable stock
1 knob ginger
2 Cloves of garlic
½ Tsp Turmeric
1 Green chilli
½-1 Tsp Salt
150g Runner beans

Method (
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side dish)


Grate very finely the ginger and garlic so you have a pulp and finely dice your chilli. Add all the ingredients bar the salt and runner beans to a pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes until soft, adding more water if the mixture becomes too dry. If you prefer a smooth texture pound the mixture with a potato masher and add a little more boiling water if required. Taste and add salt if its needed.

Meanwhile top and tail the runner beans, cut to 5cm widths and add to a pan of boiling water. Simmer for 5-10 minutes depending on the age and size of the beans, you want them with a little bite. Drain the beans and add to the lentil mixture. Serve with plain boiled rice as a main dish.



I packaged up the left overs for lunch the next day, but I added 1 chopped tomato as the mixture looked a little dry. I had a quick taste and next time I make this I will definitely add chopped tomatoes, it worked really well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x