Wednesday 18 March 2015

Black Bean and Spinach Chilli

On the way home tonight I popped into Tesco and I arrived just at the right time, the knocked down veg was being put out and price stamped! I couldn't believe it, I picked up a bag of spinach for 10 pence, bargain or what! I also picked up a few other vegetables and salad items for knock down prices too. Talk about being somewhere at the right time! :o)

On the bus home I was thinking of what I could cook up with my spinach bargain, the bus was cold tonight and I was craving some warmth, curry? chilli? fajitas? I settled with chilli and my mouth was watering thinking about it!



I soon knocked this up when I got in and I savoured every mouthful, the chilli worked its magic and warmed me up from the inside out.

Ingredients - serves 3-4
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Onion, finely diced
1 Green pepper, finely diced
3 Cloves of garlic, crushed
1 Tin black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tsp Smoked garlic
1 Tsp Hot chilli powder
½ Tsp Dried cumin
200g Spinach, chopped
1 Tin chopped tomatoes
½ Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Tomato purée

Method
Sauté the onion and green pepper in the olive oil for 5 minutes.

Add the garlic and sauté for another minute, being careful not to let the garlic burn.

Add the black beans and stir through. Add the smoked garlic powder, hot chilli powder and dried cumin and stir again. Sauté for another minute, stirring all the time.

Add the spinach to the pan and stir through before adding the chopped tomatoes and stirring again. Leave to simmer for 8 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.

Add the salt, balsamic vinegar and tomato purée and simmer for another 2 minutes.

Serve with wholegrain rice.




 Jasmine x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x