Thursday 2 May 2013

Leek, Kale & Butterbean Soup

Three weeks ago I blogged about the top 5 nutritionally-dense vegetables, which are broccoli, cabbage, spinach, leeks and kale. I've shared a few of my recipes on this blog which showcase these veg, the last being earlier this week; Kale Chips!

I've been feeling very drained lately, I'm always tired and I have no reason why this is. I know I have had a lot on my plate with the majority of my family being poorly, and being extremely busy at work, but I have been looking after myself! OK maybe I've eaten too many vegan crisps! So today I'm turning a new leaf and trying to eat fresh and not processed foods. 

Today it felt like Spring had finally arrived and I even put a pair of sandals on for work, bearing my toes, which have been kept hidden away for what feels like ages! Even though the weather was warmer I fancied soup and I felt like it needed to include some of the op 5 nutritionally-dense vegetables to help with my tiredness.

I made up a batch of leek, kale and butterbean soup which is a take on leek and potato soup without the potatoes!

Ingredients
2 Leeks
2 Garlic cloves
1 Tin butterbeans - drained
Handful of kale, shredded
600ml Vegetable stock
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Parsley
1 Bay leaf
Splash of olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Method
Finely shred the leeks and saute in the olive oil with the bay leaf and thyme until the leeks are very soft, about 10 minutes. Next add in the finely chopped garlic and saute for a further minute being careful not to let the garlic burn. Pour in the stock and add the butterbeans, oregano and parsley and bring to a simmer. Add the salt and pepper to taste and add the shredded kale and cook for around 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for a while, before transferring to a food processor to blend. Transfer the blended soup to a clean pan and gently reheat before serving. I enjoyed mine with a lump of crusty bread, delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x