Monday 7 October 2013

Cauliflower Cheeze

Well, it's been a whole week since I last posted, I can't believe how time flies and I can't believe that I managed to post everyday during September. Some bloggers say it was easy and have carried on posting every day but I was glad of the rest. But I'm back and with another 'cheese' sauce recipe but this time for cauliflower cheese.

I had fun creating 'cheese' sauces for the Mac 'n' Cheese Mondays throughout Vegan Mofo that I will carry on experimenting with vegetable 'cheese' sauces for a while.

I had bought a beautiful romanesco cauliflower from the local green grocers in town a few days ago now and it had been sitting in my fridge waiting for me to create a dish worthy of its beauty. These cauliflowers are so pretty it's actually quite hard to face cutting it up!



I wanted to keep to a yellow colour for the 'cheese' sauce so the vegetable base was limited and after scanning my kitchen cupboards I decided on sweetcorn. Here's what I did:

Ingredients (Serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main)
1 Cauliflower, cut into florets
1 Onion, chopped
340g Tin of sweetcorn (drained weight 285g)
1 Tsp English mustard
200ml Almond milk
6 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
Salt and Black pepepr
40g Vegan cheese, grated

Method
Boil or steam the cauliflower until al dente and transfer to an oven proof dish. 


Fry the onion in a little olive oil until translucent about 5 minutes. Add the drained sweetcorn and stir to combine, fry for another couple of minutes and transfer to a liquidizer. 

Add the mustard, milk, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. My liquidizer isn't powerful enough to make a completely smooth sauce it leaves the outer skins of the sweetcorn kernels, so I pushed the liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a saucepan. 

Heat gently to a simmer, turn off the heat and add half the grated cheese and stir until melted. 

Pour the sauce over the cauliflower florets and top with the remaining grated cheese. Bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes.





And not a bean in sight! But not too worry there will be more beans eaten this year as I harvested another 2kg of runner beans from my 6 plants yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x