Tuesday 26 May 2015

Spring into Action - Part 2 - Meditteranean Chickpea Spread

I don't know about you but I'm getting pretty fed up with this weather. Were almost in June and I'm not feeling the Summer at all. Where I live in the Midlands its either raining or cold (I've even put the heating on at night!)

I thought if Summer isn't coming to me I'll go to Summer and I set to in my kitchen to make a summery sandwich spread. Before I transferred to a vegan lifestyle I used to love the Mediterranean Cheese Sandwiches I could buy at work. You can't get more summery than the Mediterranean can you so I thought I would try a vegan version. 

I was very impressed with this spread and I'll even go as far as saying that it beat the Mediterranean Cheese Sandwiches from work - hands down! These are far more healthy too even if they do use a little vegan mayonnaise. The spread can be made in minutes and it will easily feed 4 hungry people in some form of sandwich.

Ingredients
I Tin of chickpeas
½ Red pepper, finely diced
1 Stick celery, finely diced
4 Spring onions, finely diced
15g Nutritional yeast
Salt & Pepper
1 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise

Method
Rinse the chick peas well with cold water and pat dry. Transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork.

Add the red pepper, celery, spring onions and nutritional yeast and mix until well combined.

Add the salt and pepper to taste. Finally add the mayonnaise and fold through the mixture.

Use the mixture to spread onto bread to make sandwiches or spread onto flour tortillas to make wraps.


You can add more vegetables if you like and the spread would go further but I liked the ratio above, just enough to taste the summer!

Jasmine x

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! Hope you get some nice summer weather soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, hopefully we won't have to wait long! x

      Delete
  2. I'm always looking for sandwich filling ideas and this looks great. So quick and easy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need the taste of sunshine as we're certainly not getting summer time weather! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x