Thursday 22 May 2014

Creamy Asparagus Pasta

As I've stated previously I'm not a massive fan of asparagus but after making my asparagus and garden pea risotto the other day my opinion changed and I wanted to experiment more with this short seasoned vegetable.

On my last visit to Stone Farmers market I picked up two bunches of asparagus, which are grown very locally. Although expensive I treated myself and decided I would make something rather decadent with them.

I treated my Mum to lunch with this dish and I'm pleased to say she absolutely loved it!

Ingredients  - Serves 4 

240g Pasta of choice, I used spirals
2 bunches of asparagus 
(I had 32 stems in all)
250ml Soy cream
½ Onion, finely diced
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 Handful of Greek basil about 6g
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
3 Tbsp Cashew nuts
Salt & Black pepper



Method
Cook the pasta as per the cooking instructions.

Cut off the tips of the asparagus and reserve, adding them to the last minute of cooking time

Cut the woody bases off the stems and cut the remaining stem in two. Add to a pan of boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and reserve.

Meanwhile add the soy cream, onion and garlic to another pan and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let stand to cool down.

Transfer the asparagus stems, soy cream mixture and basil to a liquidizer and pulse a few times before adding the Greek basil, nutritional yeast, cashew nuts, salt & black pepper. Pulse again a few times before turning on to full power. Liquidize until you have a smooth and silky sauce.

Drain the pasta and asparagus tips and pour the sauce over the top. Gently mix through and serve straight away.


1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge asparagus fan so this looks right up my street.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x