Tuesday 20 May 2014

Specials Board: Kale & Mushroom Pasta

A while back I promised you another kale recipe and after my gardening angel bought me a huge bunch round from her allotment that recipe was created.

The kale was so fresh as she had only just picked it, I ate quite a bit raw, it was so succulent. It would be great in a green salad or like me just to munch on while you think up how your going to use it.

The variety was a non curly leaf and the stems were tender and juicy, I think it was a premier kale.

I needed something quick so I decided on a pasta dish and made a kale and mushroom sauce to weave around the pasta.

Ingredients - Serves 4
250g Pasta, I used tripoline pasta
1 Onion, diced
220g Mushroom, chopped
½ Tsp dried thyme
3 Tsp English mustard
½ Tsp Herbamare
330g Kale, cut into thick ribbons
1 Tbsp Flour (heaped)
300ml Almond milk, unsweetened
1 Tsp Bouillon powder
200ml Boiled water
3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
Good grind of black pepper

Method
Cook the pasta as per the cooking instructions.

Saute the onion until translucent then add the mushrooms and saute for another 4-5 minutes.

Add the thyme, mustard and herbamare and give everything a good stir, before tossing in the ribbons of kale. Keep stirring until the kale has wilted, you may need to add a drop of water to prevent the mixture sticking to the pan.

Add the flour and stir through ensuring all the mixture is coated, it may seem a little thick but don't worry. Cook for a minute to ensure the flour taste is cooked out. Gradually add the almond milk stirring all the time. 

Mix the bouillon powder with the water to make a stock and gradually add to the kale mixture continuing to stir until all the stock has been used. Continue to cook over a low heat until the mixture has thickened.

Add the nutritional yeast and black pepper and give everything one last stir. Drain the pasta and if you're using long pasta ribbons or spaghetti twirl a portion onto each plate then add the 'sauce' around the pasta. If you're using pasta shapes such as penne add the pasta to the pan and stir carefully to mix into the sauce before serving.



3 comments:

  1. Mmm, that looks delicious. I love creamy pasta dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jojo, I must admit I prefer creamy over tomato but I do love a tomato sauce on a sunny day like today with lots of basil......reminds me of holidays x

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jojo, I must admit I prefer creamy over tomato but I do love a tomato sauce on a sunny day like today with lots of basil......reminds me of holidays x

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x