Sunday 12 January 2014

Quick and Easy Breakfasts

Last week I shared my top ten ideas for a vegan packed lunch and I thought it might be a good idea to do the same for breakfasts. I know a lot of us, me included, get stuck in a rut when it comes to breakfasts and normally have the same thing everyday. Hopefully there are some new ideas for you to try here, which are healthy and tasty! There are some fairly obvious ones but hopefully there are some things you've not yet tried. 

If you're new to veganism and what to ask me a question, please feel free to leave me a comment at the bottom of the page, tweet me or send me a direct message through twitter. I'm happy to help.

1)  Fruit Salad 
In my eyes you can't beat a fresh fruit salad with a little yoghurt drizzled over, especially during the warmer months of the year. Mix together different fruits depending on the seasons and you will get a different fruit salad every 3-4 months. This one is a mix of cherries, strawberries, green and black grapes and apple. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

2) Fruit Smoothies
 
I love smoothies! You can't go wrong with a smoothie, they are very forgiving. If your smoothie doesn't taste quite how you like it, throw in another ingredient and process again! 

My favourite fruit smoothies are Strawberry & Banana and Pineapple, Mango & Banana. You really can't go wrong with these two, just add the ingredients to a blender with a little water and vegan yoghurt and blend.

If you can find a little space in your garden to grow your own strawberries, there's nothing like popping outside harvesting what you need and then popping them into your blender! You can't get fresher than that can you?

If you haven't the room to grow a lot of strawberries the next best thing is to find a 'pick your own' fruit farm. How many of you used to pick strawberries as a kid to get some pocket money? I sure did, back braking work but today they are grown at shoulder height so no more bending down to pick them. 

3) Green Smoothies 
These are just as easy to make and tasty. As you get used to the flavour of green smoothies you can be a bit more adventurous with the vegetables that you add.

My current favourite is Kale, Pineapple and a handful of grapes you can't taste the kale. The title link will take you to another favourite which uses Pineapple and Spinach and if you like that one why not try the Caribbean version of it. If you know someone who doesn't get there 'five a day' smoothies are a fantastic way to get more fruit and vegetables in your diet.

Once your taste buds have warmed up a little try adding another vegetable to one of the above smoothies. I've made one with broccoli and cucumber and surprisingly it tasted scrumptious. The options are endless, just experiment and you'll be amazed at what flavours you grow to love.

4) Muesli 
This is my favourite breakfast at the moment and I take this to work at least 3 times a week. It is easily transported in my nifty two pot stacker with vegan yoghurt to be mixed together when I arrive at work. I posted my recipe yesterday, which is enough for 8 servings, just double up the quantities if you want to make more.


5) Pancakes 
I made this during Vegan Mofo on a "Sleepy Sunday" theme, which was breakfasts, brunch or lazin' in bed snacks.

Personally, I'm not a massive fan of pancakes, I never have been. Even the vegan pancakes taste too 'eggy' for me, strange but true. Even as a vegetarian I never ate eggs unless they were heavily disguised in cake and even then I could sometimes pin point the taste. I've just never liked the taste and I couldn't get out of my head what they actually are. Rant over - sorry!

However, I did eat these two pancakes as the filling on top was divine, perfect for a late breakfast or brunch. You could use it to top toast if you don't like the idea of pancakes.


6) Morning Bruchetta 
I made this one sunny morning last year and memories of walking bare foot on a beach, sun beating down on my back came flooding back. It really is sunshine food and perfect food to eat sitting outside on a warm sunny summer morning. Although this photograph was taken early April last year!

Full of Mediterranean flavours, fresh and vibrant, you could do worse for breakfast! 

7) Bean Hash 
Once again this recipe came about during Vegan Mofo last year on another Sleepy Sunday theme. 

I love beans and there is more to life than baked beans although they are awesome.

This dish mixes Borlotti beans with potato, onions and mushrooms and served with baked beans it really is beantastic!

8) Tofumlette 
For all of you who used to love omelettes, fear not, you can still enjoy them but using tofu instead of eggs.

With my indifference to anything 'eggy' I found that adding salsa to the top influenced my taste buds and I actually enjoyed the tofumlette. You can add any vegetable to a vegan tofumlette, see what you can come up with. This recipe uses spinach and mushrooms perfect for breakfast.

9) Mushrooms on Toast 
I had this for breakfast this morning, I love mushrooms, I could have quite easily eaten double the amount. There is no recipe as such for this but all I do is saute ½ a finely chopped red onion until translucent in a little olive oil. Then add 5 diced chestnut mushrooms, a splash of unsweetened almond milk and saute for another minute before adding a splash of soy sauce, ½ Tsp smoked paprika and a good grind of black pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked. Serve on top of toast with a sprinkle of chopped parsley. For me heaven on a plate! Of course there are so many other things you could serve on toast, baked beans, avocado with black pepper, tomatoes, homemade jam, marmite or peanut butter to name just a few. 

10) Homemade Bread and Jam 
You can't beat freshly baked homemade bread, the smell that comes from your kitchen is fantastic. There is just one slight problem though, it tastes that good you will go back for more and more and more!

I love putting my bread maker on over night using the timer function so that I wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread. It really is something that will get you out of bed in a morning! That first slice, still warm, spread with your favourite jam just can't be beaten. You can use more slices for your lunch too and its great toasted the next day.

I hope that has given you some ideas, or jogged your memory as to some of the most simple breakfasts in life. 

If you're looking for vegan packed lunch ideas then take a look at my lunches to take to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x