Tuesday 7 January 2014

Three Lentil Soup

I spent Sunday morning in my kitchen, baking bread and making another soup, pure bliss. Isn't that what Sunday mornings are all about? While the bread was baking, Marco and I went for a stroll in the wind and the rain and it was lovely to return to the smell of baking bread. OK so I used a bread machine! The bread was absolutely delicious, a spicy potato and onion bread from 'The Bread Book' by Sara Lewis. 


All I needed now was a soup to compliment the bread and I created Three Lentil Soup. To be honest I didn't start out to make a soup using three different lentils but when I came to make the soup I only had a third of a cup of red lentils! I topped it up with continental lentils, now I had two thirds of a cup and no more continental lentils, disaster! I need not have fret though as I also had a few green lentils too and that made it a cup full of lentils. Disaster averted. Must add lentils to my shopping list.

This soup is so simple to make and you can make it while your bread is baking. You'll have lunch on the table in no time. The best thing is, if you're using a bread maker you can put your feet up with a cuppa while the lentils are cooking. The soup will easily feed 6 people and you will still have leftovers.

Ingredients
1 Leek, sliced and quartered
1 Red onion, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 Cup of mixed lentils, only use "no need for soaking" lentils
1 Tsp Ground cumin
½ Tsp Turmeric
½ Tsp Smoked paprika
1 Dried chilli
1 Tin chopped tomatoes
1 Tsp Vegetable bouillon powder
700ml Water
1 Can of coconut milk
Additional 500ml Water

Method 
Add all ingredients to a large saucepan apart from the coconut milk and additional water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 35 minutes.

Let cool for a while then add the coconut milk and stir through. Blend and add extra water to your desired consistency. 

This soup is rich and velvety smooth, I like my soups thick but just add more water if you prefer yours less thick. The soup has got a kick to it but if you like your food extra spicy just add two dried chillis.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x