Wednesday 16 January 2013

Vegetable Curry

Today I was craving a vegetable curry. I needed some spice after all that comforting food of pies and bakes. I was also in the mood for cooking up a storm. Now don't get me wrong, I always enjoy cooking but some days I really like cooking! Like everyone else I also enjoy the odd shortcut like a prepared curry paste but today was not one of those days and I made my own curry paste from scratch. All I did was throw in a load of ingredients into my small food processor (yes I have a small one and a big one!) and turn it on - simple!

Vegetable curry
1 onion
Thumb sized piece of ginger
2 garlic cloves
2 red chillies
1tsp cumin, coriander and tumeric
1 can of cocunut milk
800g mixed vegetables I used the old favourite winter veg:( butternut squash, parsnip, cauliflower), potato and green beans to give it that crispness

Roughly chop the onion, ginger, garlic and chillies and add to your food processor, pulse at first to chop more then process till as smooth as you like.
Add this mixture to a little oil in a heavy based pan (I always use my wok, I would never be without it) and saute for a couple of minutes before adding a tsp each of the normal curry spices. Continually stir whilst sauteing for a further 2-3 minutes.
Chop all your vegetables you choose to use to similar sizes and add to the pan giving it a good stir so that the curry paste coats all your vegetables.
Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer, cooking until your vegetables are tender, around 15-20 minutes depending on the size you cut your vegetables. Be careful not to over cook the vegetables you don't want it turning into a sloppy mush you want a little bite in your veg! Serve with cooked rice (I like wholemeal rice) and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x