Monday 18 February 2013

Taco's!

As promised my taco recipe and yet another Mexican night! I love Mexican food, I must visit the Country, although I have heard that the food is nothing to what we class as Mexican here! A bit like Chinese I suppose.
This was ready in half an hour so don't be put off with the ingredients and length of the instructions! It was extremely tasty and one recipe I will repeat over and over again now I've written down what I actually did! Before writing this blog I could never remember what I cooked up all I remembered was "that tasted GOOOOOOOD".  This blog is a good record of what I get up to in the kitchen when my creative juices are flowing, so I can go back and recreate the tastiest of all my recipes.

Ingredients
2 celery stalks, diced
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 courgette, diced
½ red pepper, diced
10 standard size mushrooms, diced
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chilli powder
200g passata
200g refried beans
Soya 'mince'*
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp cumin
Boiling water

* I forgot to weigh the soya mince but I think it was round about 1 cup. Follow the instructions on the packet of soya mince and add the required water

Method
Saute the onion until translucent then add the garlic and saute for a couple more minutes. 
Add the celery and red pepper and saute for another couple of minutes before adding the courgette and mushrooms. 
When the mushrooms have released their liquid add the spices and stir to combine.
Add the tomato passata and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes
Add the refried beans and stir through so they are evenly distributed.
Add the mixed herbs, black pepper, paprika and cumin to the soya mince and stir to combine.
Add the boiling water and leave to sit for 5 minutes. Mix thoroughly and add to the vegetables.
Simmer for another 5 minutes and serve with taco shells, lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
I also add some vegan mayonnaise which you can see in the second photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x