Friday 19 September 2014

Specials Board: Homemade Tomato sauce


Yesterday I posted my recipe for two squash cannelloni which used my homemade tomato sauce. This is my basic tomato sauce recipe, which I use all the time. Its great with spaghetti no-bolognaise, as a pizza sauce, with pasta and basil or on its own. Yes I've been known to put a dollop on my plate just as it is! 

Now, I like my tomato sauce thick, if you like yours a little thinner just add vegetable stock to thin it down to your desired consistency. You shouldn't lose any flavour but if you do add a squirt of tomato puree and top up with the herbs and spices. If you want your tomato sauce more creamy, add almond milk and/or cashews, remember though the cashews will thicken the sauce when left in the fridge.

I also like my tomato sauce with a little kick to it but if you don't like a little heat omit the chilli flakes and the black pepper. The sauce isn't spicy hot, it just has a warmth to it, with a little after kick, actually more like a gentle nudge!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to use my home grown tomatoes in this recipe as all I have is green tomatoes! I have made it before with home grown tomatoes and if you have a good blender you may not need to skin the tomatoes either.

Ingredients (makes 1.4 Litres) 
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Onions, chopped
2 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 Pepper, chopped
2 Tsp Mixed herbs
1 Tsp Paprika
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Black pepper
½ Tsp Chilli flakes
1 Tin chopped tomatoes (or fresh if you have them)
500ml Tomato passata
1 Tsp Sugar
1 Tsp Red wine vinegar
150ml Almond milk

Method
Fry the onions in the olive oil until translucent, then add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes. Add the pepper and fry for another 3 minutes.

Add the mixed herbs, paprika, chilli flakes, salt and pepper and stir to combine everything. 

Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato passata and bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until the mixture has reduced a little.

Add the sugar and red wine vinegar and simmer for another couple of minutes.

Transfer to a blender and add the almond milk. Puree to a smooth sauce and transfer to a clean saucepan. 

If you like your sauce thinner add vegetable stock, taste and adjust the seasoning to suit your taste.

Without vegetable stock the sauce if fairly thick and if used in an oven baked pasta dish you will need to use the same measurement of vegetable stock to tomato sauce.







1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x