Monday 8 September 2014

Specials Board: Roasted Courgette Couscous

Roasted Courgette Couscous & Vegan Mofo Day 8
If you are a regular reader you will know that I planned a mammoth cooking session yesterday, but it didn't happen! I can only blame myself, it was self inflicted, one too many vino's at a friends wedding the night before!

I was so mad at myself all day long but the last thing I wanted to do was be near food, yes I was that bad. Terrible isn't it? But enough about feeling sorry for myself the show must go on, even if that means I've put myself under pressure and have to cook, eat and post a recipe each night. Things could be worse, at least this is fun :o)

I got up extra early this morning to make this so I could take it to work for lunch and I was so looking forward to it all morning. Only, when it came to lunch time and I went to the fridge to get it, I found out that I'd brought the wrong container! Arghhhhhh! I'd only gone and brought a container full of cooked plain couscous instead- not very appetizing! Karma? Thank goodness for Marks & Spencer houmous!

Ingredients 

400g Courgette
1 Red pepper
1 Onion
1 Tsp Oregano
Salt & Pepper
Drizzle of Olive oil
1 Tbsp Tomato puree
2 Tsp Garlic granules
2 Tsp Paprika
Tsp Ground Coriander
1 Tsp Ground cumin
½ Tsp Chilli flakes
450ml Boiling water
300g Couscous
1 Tin of Sweetcorn, drained

Method
You don't need all the couscous for this recipe, but I cooked it all as I have another recipe in mind for tomorrow that uses couscous. Stay tuned! 

First cut up the vegetables and place in an oven proof dish. Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper and drizzle over a little olive oil. Toss the vegetables so that they are all coated with the herbs and oil. Bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes.

Add the tomato puree to a measuring jug and top it with the herbs and spices. Pour in the boiling water and stir so that all the ingredients are mixed. Pour it over the couscous and give it a good stir. Leave for 5 minutes then break the couscous up with a fork. Transfer 160g of the couscous to a container and keep in the fridge for a different recipe. Or you could use it all but you will need a few more veggies, roasted mushrooms work very well in this dish.

Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven add the sweetcorn and give the veggies a stir. Tip onto the couscous and carefully mix through. Serve straight away or leave to cool and it as a salad.



I served mine with falafels and tahini sauce


I used one of my yellow courgettes for this recipe but regular green courgettes would work just as well. Look at my lovely mellow yellows I've picked!



2 comments:

  1. that looks like a really good dinner! way to pull yourself back together, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amey! It did work a treat! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, Jasmine x